The pressure is on… you need to find a job, you need to meet new people, you need to advance your career. Let’s be real, networking is intimidating. Especially if you have to approach an established expert and whip up something impressive to say. Or you are trying to break into the ‘old boys club’. Some attempts at networking go better than others and of course there are ton of benefits to going to almost any networking event. However, I personally believe that groups/events that are focused on young professionals can be extremely beneficial.
Downtown Colorado, Inc. has an Emerging Leaders membership. I want to explain what it’s all about and why it works well with other memberships you may have.
- Our staff is made up of young professionals
- We place AmeriCorps VISTAs (usually young professionals) who are working on a variety of projects all over the state
- We work with a wide breadth of professions including planners, architects, engineers, city/state employees, non-profits, and more.
- We partner with many other orgs: APA, CNU, CCCMA, CML, EDCC etc. to share a breadth of events with you
- We have a Jobs and RFPs page that comes straight to you from our member communities
- Discounts to all DCI events
- Peers that have similar amount of experience and can speak to the struggle/journey
- New ideas
- People familiar with the current strategies and methods of finding a job i.e. LinkedIn, networking, informational interviews, etc.
- Fresh and fun event ideas. i.e. ‘drink and do and LEARN’
DCI is starting up a series of events for Emerging Leaders that will feature presentations and discussions from Emerging Leaders. This month, we have Mallory Baker talking about the impacts of Millennial Transportation Habits with Happy Hour After. We would like to send out a call for session ideas. If you have a passion project you would like to share, we want to give you a platform to share.
If you have any questions about our Emerging Leader Membership, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
PS I will be attending #ELGL18 in Golden May 17-18 so keep an eye for updates from emerging local government leaders!